Thursday, February 17, 2011

What?! A new post?!

Howdy Partners.  Thought I'd put my writing hat back on and add a little on here.

So I finally got a job, after some stressful weeks of being unemployed, at a big flower shop in SLC called the Flower Patch.  I drive one of their big vans and deliver flowers all day long out of their warehouse.  It's pretty fun and pretty easy!  Time sure does go by fast, so that's nice.  For some reason, when I started I was thinking that everyone would be just SO happy to see me and that I'd be making everyone's day... BUT I didn't think about all the funerals everyday and all the get well flowers people send.  So it's not exactly how I was imagining it, but it's still pretty fun.
It's actually pretty funny, on my first day I had to deliver this huge casket topper and and couple of those funeral spray things that are on easels to this ward.  They let me in the back door, and I say "this is a casket topper, where should I put it?"  then the guy just points over to grandma over there, who we'll say wasn't just taking a nap.  Having never experienced a "viewing" before, it was pretty nerve wracking getting to set a heavy casket topper over this lady's feet while she and the rest of the family were watching me.   Good first day.
So it's been going well... Valentines was absolutely crazy to say the least.  I worked 12hrs on Sunday, 14 on Monday and then another 12 on Tuesday.  Good money that I could use, but very exhausting.  We did about 3500 deliveries on Monday, and hired about 75 contract drivers to deliver with their own cars.  Caitlin even drove most of the day!

One other thing that's been on my mind:  Sitting in class the other day waiting for the prof. to start, I notice as a kid is sitting down, his gun tucked into the back of his pants.  Just what I want to be thinking about when I'm in school...  A little background:  Rules about guns on campus have been a hot topic recently.  They were previously not allowed but legislation recently ruled that they couldn't do anything about state gun laws.  They president of the U did everything he could to fight it, and the student govt. even came out strongly against it... But we are in Utah, so here I am sharing a classroom everyday with a bunch of students and a hand cannon or two mixed in (in case one of those students were to have a gun and go crazy.  Oh wait, they do have guns) for protection.  Crazy.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder what would happen if I showed up at work with a gun in my belt? Gotta protect the sick children, you know? (Actually it's more like gotta protect myself walking from the parking lot to the hospital!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Chrish!! I woulda like not knowing your classmates have guns!
    Glad the flower biz is going well.....glad to see you posting again, keep it up!
    love you!

    ReplyDelete