Saturday, November 27, 2010

Updizzate

What has been going on in Brussels Christian? Lots! I'll tell ya.

Most probably know by now, but as of a few weeks ago I will be only staying in Europe for this one semester instead of two.  It ended up being a big screw up on my part... I had thought that the large amount of money I paid before I left covered my tuition and the cost of my home-stay, but I quickly figured out it hadn't when the school here gave me the bill for housing.  So I won't have enough dough for a second semester...  It is pretty unfortunate and I was looking forward to a second semester here, but at the same time, I am not too upset.  All of the study abroad kids that make up my school will be leaving, and a new group will arrive in the spring... So I would have to sort of start over making friends and I feel like I would be repeating what I have already done in a lot of ways.  I am also looking forward to going back to the U of U and finishing up... So that's the way it goes, and I'll be back for good on the 13th of Dec.

David, Katie and I decided that Thanksgiving was something that we could absolutely not go without, so we managed to talk Mechthild into cooking us a big Thanksgiving dinner.  Of course it wasn't the same, but it was great to have a huge meal of our own here while everyone was stuffing themselves back home.  It was very nice of Mechthild considering it doesn't mean anything to her... She was like, "what do we need to make for this Thanksgiving thing?" In my head I was like, "well, a big turkey, mashed potaotes, cranberry ice, real and canned cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing..." but I refrained and we stuck with the basics.  Except we didn't have turkey, we had roasted lamb because it is nearly impossible to get a turkey in Europe when it isn't Christmas.  It wasn't bad.  We had two friends over from school and had just a jolly ole Euro-turkey (sans turkey) day.  Caitlin told me she'd make me a thanksgiving dinner when I get back, so I can't wait for that.  I made the mashed potatoes and they were so-so:





My school had a winter formal at this night club in town last week, so that was pretty fun.  Open bars always make for a good time.  Katie wore her giant fur coat that she found for cheap at the flea market.  That thing was the life of the party.  I can't wait until she has to wear it on the plane back home when she can't fit it into her bag! Here we are all dressed up, our friend Caitlin came over before too:





I guess it's officially Christmas season now huh?  It's really great around here with all the decorations that are going up around the city.  The grand place has this giant tree in the middle, complete with a life-sized baby jesus in the manger scene.  Also, it snowed for the first time on Thursday and has been on and off ever since!  The Christmas market is starting today too, so I'll have to go check that out.  One thing I didn't realize was that I'd be drinking all kinds of great Christmas ales! Jeeze Louise are they good.

Oh! So I made quince candies the other day.  I thought I'd share and get in on some of that recipe/cooking blogging that everyone seems to be doing.  Also, I immediately thought of the quince jelly that my aunt Kristie makes.  I think this is very similar, but sweeter and more candy like.

What you need: Pre-made quince candies, sugar
Directions:
-Have Mechthild make the quince mixture and put it on plates.
-Leave it on top of the armoire in the living room for about 1 month.
-Take them down, cut them into little diamonds and roll in sugar.
Bon Appetite! Here's how they should look:



I went to a concert with Mechthild here in Brussels on Wednesday.  She goes to classical music concerts at least once a week here and has always told us she'd treat us whenever we like, so I figured I'd take her up on the offer.  I guess the concert hall here has some of the best acoustics in the world... It was pretty nice, and it only costs 5 euro for young people!  I had a pretty good time.  I had never been to a concert like that before and know almost nothing about classical music, but it's always great to experience something new.  Most of the musicians were really young, which I thought was cool (helps to offset the overly old audience! ha).  They really mixed it up and played a lot of different kinds of music, so it never got boring.  I think I may go to another before I leave!

My good friend Tori is visiting me this week!  She has been studying abroad in Sweden and decided to come on down to visit me in Belgique.  We're having a grand ole time so far!  It's nice having a fellow utahn in town.  I've shown her around a bit, and we had a wild night out on the town with the roomies last night.  We'll just say it included going behind the counter at the Frites place when the workers went out to have a cigg to get more sauce.  It's really nice having her visit... I even caught Mechthild telling Katie that she's enjoying it 'cause now the girls have a majority in the house!  So we're going to have a fun week, we may go on a little day trip or two to Bruges, Antwerp or Amsterdam.

School is winding down!  All four final research papers are done and next week is the last week of classes.  Just final exams left starting the week after that!  Time has just flown on by...

                                              Blair thinks he can just take up the whole sofa...



Au revoire
-C

4 comments:

  1. Chrish! I love this blog....my first favorite part is how you all decided to have a Thanksgiving dinner so what did you do?? Talk Mechthild into making it!!!!! I love it, she is the absolute best!! Lamb sounds great, i like it better than turkey!
    Second think I love is how you made the quince candy for your new blog...Have mechthild make the candies and sit for a month then you sprinkle a little sugar on them and cut them up!! What will you do without her in your culinary future??
    Hugs to Tori, sounds like a blast! Can't wait to have you home. So glad it's gone well and has been a semester of a lifetime!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a fun blog! You need to keep it up once you get home. I'm sure you will have interesting experiences at the U too! Welcome home soon! Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. awwww...you gave my quince paste a shout out! I just made a new batch last weekend, so I'm planning on serving it at Christmas!
    Uncle Jim was worried that you're hanging out with someone named "meth child", but I set him straight.
    Hope we'll see you at Christmas =)
    ~Aunt K

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahah! give ol' Meth Child a hug from me!!

    ReplyDelete