Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pocket: picked.

Ok, so on the bright side, there are lots of other things I STILL have.  My passport for instance.  This was what I started saying to myself the next day...  Still have my cell phone, still have my keys, still have a couple coins, all my friends, still have still have still have...

Some may have heard by now, but on Friday morning (some would say Thursday night) at around 4am, I managed to have my wallet stolen from my back pocket.  It went like this:
I was having a great Thursday night, Katie and I had met up with my dad and Teri, who were visiting, at Delirium where we had a few beers.  Then of course we had to get them to drink some absinthe with us at Floris bar, which was a great time.  So after a few hours, they headed back to the Marriott (more on this later) and Katie and I went on to another bar.  After this, of course we got some late night frites.  Ok, so I've explained now what I was doing out until 4am.  Next we decide that we don't want to wait around until 5:30 (and I think it's a bit easier to spend money after many drinks) to catch the first tram, so we go to catch a cab home.  Now it gets good.
Katie and I are leaning towards the window of the cab trying to talk to the driver, when YOINK!  Someone came from behind, saw my wallet, and just plain grabbed it out of my pocket.  It was not like I barely noticed it, it was like if I were to try to grab someone's wallet.  No special pickpocket skillz whatsoever.  I turn around, see my man running, and start running after him.  I managed to keep up with him for a couple blocks, which I thought was pretty good.  Some would consider me a very slow runner,  also, I was not out until 4am drinking water... Who knows, maybe I was running all over the road and could have caught him if I ran in a straight line!
Ok, so then I trip.  Cobblestones also make running at full speed more difficult.  I get back up and continue the chase, when he luckily turns a corner right past a police station where there were cops standing outside.  I pant and tell them: "he has my wallet!" they say: "that guy in white?" me: "yes!" then one of the cops takes off running.  I doubt he could have caught him, I was fairly behind at that point, and telling them he had my wallet took a second.  So I go into the station, fill out a report and manage to get one of my cards cancelled (this was pretty nice of the robber, I wouldn't have known where the station was otherwise!).
This all took a while and I began to wonder what Katie was up to, so I headed back to where my chase began.  Didn't see her, but luckily found her inside the McDonalds across the street (also, this McDonalds is in the same building as the Marriott where my dad was staying).  She let me know that just after I took off running, another man came up to her and tried to grab her wallet right out of her hands.  Luckily she had it looped around her fingers so he couldn't grab it.  She says he then ran away but not after she got in a good smack on the head!  We then found our way into the Marriott and talked the guy into calling the room "Faulkner".  "It is 4:30 in the morning sir"...  After a few tries he answers and gets his account blocked (from which I had a card that was in my wallet).  In the meantime, Katie managed to get us fancy coffees on the house!
So then we headed home.  Luckily we didn't even have to wait around for the first train in the morning!

What I lost:  30(ish) euros, 2 debit cards, 1 credit card, 2 student IDs, my Utah driver's license, health insurance cards, my month public transport card, my smiths marketplace wallet, and a little skin from my knee.

You live and you learn... I had never thought this was how it would happen.  I always imagined someone sneakily grabbing it on the metro and me noticing a few hours later.  Now I know!  As much as I don't want to, I'll be putting my next wallet in my front pocket at all times.  I should probably figure that out BTW, considering I got a new card today and had nowhere to put it.  My dad mentioned going to the flea market to buy one, "cause hey, maybe you could buy back your original one! And maybe your drivers license!"
Anyway, my conclusion:  There are still many thing I STILL have! ... right?
Sorry, I didn't manage to get any pictures from this night.
-C

4 comments:

  1. Oh Chrishie!! I woulda given anything to see this chase! I can smile about it now because I know all is well with you. You have learned a good lesson but I have a couple others for you; Prob not a good idea to chase someone who has pick-pocketed you.....they may hurt you, not worth it! And, no good happens at that time of the night....remember Jim and Nick and the aids needle in Amsterdam? No good!
    Glad you and Katie are safe......xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AIDS needle in Amsterdam?! oh, Jason just told us...
    well, live and learn...Uncle J likes him "taxi" wallet because it is rounded on one side and fits better in the front pocket...just fyi..
    i'm enjoying your blog!...Aunt K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Want me to go to Smith's MP and get you a fancy flourescent pink wallet with velcro and mail it out?

    Glad you are safe too! I think about that story with N & J somtimes. Scary stuff.

    Also, Dean+Teri+Absinthe? I wish I coulda seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Aunt Kristie!
    Chist: Ha! I would really love that... but it's too expensive to send stuff. Don't do it. And yeah! Ha! I'm going to get my mom to have some when she comes too.

    ReplyDelete